Deer Carcass

 Walking around our New Hampshire property today (January 1, 2021) with the family we came across a deer carcass.  Well, at least what was left of the deer.  I have seen plenty of deer footprints and occasional scat, as well as other animals on the property.  I’ve been noticing what I assumed were prints from a local dog.  I’m not good at identifying footprints, especially canine or feline varieties as the similarities are more than the differences for these untrained eyes.  Now I have reason to believe that the prints were from a coyote. The last time I walked through this part of the property was four days ago (December 28, 2020).

Here is what we found:

Deer head, spine and some ribs, a nice rack.


Same as above, different vantage.

Rear leg and more spine.

Close up of the same leg as above.

Some fur amid the ribs from that first set of bones.

Pile of fur, ten feet or so? from the initial bones.
The hand is over the lower jaw.

The is probably a hip or shoulder bone?

More fur, another ten feet or so from the other pile of fur.

Scat, possiby from a coyote. 
I had a vinyl glove in my pouch and so I felt it for warmth.
The narrow part was hard, but there was still warmth/squishiness in the larger part.  
Obviously lots of fur too.

Just another tuft of fur.

Comments welcome.

Thanks for visiting!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a find! Even though such things can be gruesome, I always find them interesting as well. Nature being itself in all its light AND darkness. You guys really need to get a trail cam, would love to see what traverses your property in the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting a trail camera is a wishlist item! Someday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Randy

Six years ago today a dear friend, Randy, ended their life.  He will always be missed by family and friends.  I often speak to him when I ta...